Briggs Field dominates much of the
outdoor field space, and has been a haven of recreational activity
since MIT's main campus made the move to Cambridge. A new baseball
facility was constructed in 1949 to support the emerging varsity
team, while currently the fields are primarily used by over 80 club
and intramural programs.
Briggs Field was named in honor of Major Frank Briggs '81. In 1897, when it was found necessary to form an organization to regulate the general athletic interests of Tech students, to exercise supervision, and if necessary, to assume control of all funds connected with athletics, Major Briggs was chosen chairman of the board, thus forming the MIT Athletic Advisory Council.
During the past few years several improvements have been made to Briggs Field that have contributed to an improved quality of play. During the summer of 2006, a new pitching mound was constructed giving the Engineer pitchers one of the best in New England. Additional improvements include a new infield mix, a six-foot chain-link fence equipped with a windscreen, as well as a new scoreboard.
Facilities Home | Zesiger Sports and Fitness
Center | Alumni
Pool and Wang Fitness Center | Briggs Field
du Pont Athletic Center | duPont Tennis Courts and J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble | Steinbrenner Stadium | Jack Barry Field
Johnson Athletic Center | Pierce Boathouse | Wood Sailing Pavilion