The first step toward what is now
the duPont Athletic Center was the acquisition of the Rockwell Cage
which had been used by the United States Government for indoor
drill. The cage was acquired largely through the efforts of
then-Athletic Director Ivan J. Geiger, who was also instrumental in
turning the facility into the new home for MIT basketball.
Aided by the vision of David Flett duPont, who left a million-dollar bequest toward the improvement of athletic facilities, the duPont Athletic Center opened to the MIT community in 1959. duPont's bequest also led to the construction of 12 outdoor tennis courts.
In addition to serving as the home to MIT basketball, men's and women's volleyball utilize the facility as its home court. The duPont Athletic Center generates the most daily traffic and is equipped with a pistol and rifle range; fencing room; wrestling room; squash courts and additional instructional rooms for dance and martial arts.
Rockwell Cage, which is still the official venue name for basketball and volleyball, was named in honor of Dr. John Rockwell '96. Dr. Rockwell was one of the leading athletes in his class, and in 1927, began a run as President of the Advisory Council for Athletics.
Facilities Home | Zesiger Sports and Fitness
Center | Alumni
Pool and Wang Fitness Center | Briggs Field
du Pont Athletic Center | duPont Tennis Courts and J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble | Steinbrenner Stadium | Jack Barry Field
Johnson Athletic Center | Pierce Boathouse | Wood Sailing Pavilion