- Score: No. 10 Memphis 4,652; No. 13 Army 4,641; MIT 4,225
- Records: MIT (0-2); No. 13 Army (1-1); No. 10 Memphis (2-0)
- Location: West Point, N.Y. (Tronsrue Marksmanship Center)
- The Lead: In the tri-match on Monday at West Point, the MIT rifle team dropped a pair of matches to nationally-ranked opponents Army and the University of Memphis. The Engineers fell to the No. 13 Black Knights by a 4641-4225 final, along with a 4652-4225 loss to No. 10 ranked Memphis.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kelly Mathesius (Aurora, Ill.) was the top shooter for the Engineers with an aggregate score of 1,104. She was the team leader in small bore with a score of 541, as well as the leader in air rifle at 563. Junior Gregory Lee (Feura Bush, N.Y.) posted a total of 1,071, including 525 in small bore and a score of 546 in the air rifle.
- Senior Kevin Ng (Coral Springs, Fla.) tallied a score of 1,067, including ranking second on the team in air rifle with a total of 555. Junior William Caruso (Toms River, N.J.) was the final MIT competitor to compete in both small bore and air rifle as he finished with a 983 points. He registered a 507 in air rifle, while posting a score of 476 in the small bore section.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT totaled a score of 2,054 in small bore competition and 2,171 in the air rifle portion. Memphis was the leader in the small bore competition with 2,308, while the Tigers edged the Black Knights 2,344-2,342 in air rifle.
- MIT is back in action at home on Saturday, October 22nd as the Engineers host the United States Coast Guard Academy for a 9 a.m. start.