- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (duPont Athletic Center)
- The Lead: On Saturday, the MIT rifle team dropped a 4367-4265 final to visiting John Jay College at the duPont Athletic Center Rifle Range. The match wraps up the fall portion of the season for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- John Jay held a narrow 2110-2079 edge in the small bore portion, while the Bloodhounds had a 2257-2186 advantage in the air rifle segment. The 2186-point performance is a season-high in the air rifle for the Engineers.
- John Jay's Lily Graham was the top overall finisher with 1114 points as she registered 545 points in small bore and 569 points in the air rifle. MIT placed five shooters in the top 10 overall finishers, including senior Kelly Mathesius (Aurora, Ill.) in second with a total of 1098 points. The senior picked up 535 points in small bore and 563 in the air rifle segment, which was her second-highest air rifle showing of the year.
- Junior William Caruso (Toms River, N.J.) placed fifth overall with 1065 points, posting season-highs in both small bore and air rifle at 526 and 539 points, respectively. Junior Joel Solis (Brownsville, Texas) placed a season-best seventh with 1044 points, along registering season-highs of 502 in small bore and 542 in the air rifle segment.
- Junior Gregory Lee (Feura Bush, N.Y.) picked up an eighth-place showing with 1040 points, along with freshman Dylan Modesitt (Belmont, Calif.) in ninth with 1040 points as well. Lee picked up a 542-point performance in the air rifle, while Modesitt posted 520 points in each segment.
- MIT returns to action on January 21st as the Engineers host Yale and Wentworth.
- Check in at www.mitathletics.com prior to that event as we will hear from members of the team to chat about the fall season and preview the remaining spring schedule.