Engineers Take First and Third at Midweek Tech Invite
Cambridge, Mass. – Freshman Hanna Vincent and junior Hannah Sparkman propelled the Engineers sailing team to a victory at the Midweek Tech Invite, a fun and educational race hosted by MIT on Tuesday afternoon. The pair raced to a sixteen point total and edged the second place boat by a single point for the overall victory.
Junior Neil Forrester and freshman Leo Zhon finished in third with a total of 25 points, while junior Tevis Nichols sailed with freshman Grace Yang to a fifth place finish on thirty points, ten clear of their next opponents. The final Engineer boat, sailed by Jacqueline Soegaard and Iris Xu, finished in 12th.
Fourteen teams competed in the afternoon event, all from local area schools including MIT, Northeastern, Wellesley, Harvard and Tufts. Sailors assembled on the docks of the MIT Sailing Pavilion for six high quality races in technical dinghies. The breeze oscillated between SW and WSW at 10-14 knots with an occasional swamp and capsize. There were no boat rotations, just non-stop racing while coaches assisted all participants in the back half of fleet during the races.
Teams from Tufts University took second and sixth place, while Harvard's best pairs nabbed second, seventh and eighth positions.
The final results from MIT's Midweek Tech Invite:
1. Hanna Vincent '14 and Hannah Sparkman '12, MIT; 16 pts
2. Colin Patterson '11 and Julie Pringle '14, Tufts; 17 pts
3. Neil Forrester '12 and Leo Zhon '14, MIT; 25 pts
4. Ames Lyman '14 and Alice Kenney '14, Harvard; 25 pts
5. Tevis Nichols '12 and Grace Yang '14, MIT; 30 pts
6. Dan Slate '11 and Vicki Eastman '11, Tufts; 40 pts
7. Grant Wonders '12 and Lauren Tiederman '13, Harvard; 48 pts
8. Ben Lamont '14 and Sarah Pierson '14, Harvard; 50 pts
9. Alexander Plum '12 and Kate Boerma '13, Northeastern; 56 pts
10. Kelly Mercer '13 Wellesley and Katherine Kelly '14, Harvard; 57 pts
11. Matthew Wood '14 and Lillian Nelson '14, Northeastern; 57 pts
12. Jacqui Soegaard '12 and Iris Xu '14, MIT; 63 pts
13. Ann Walt Stallings '13 and Ashley Lin '14, Wellesley; 64 pts
14. Christopher Lee '13 and Diana Powell '14, Harvard; 67 pts