Hatch Brown Trophy at Home – 4th of 19 Teams (A Division – 3rd, B Division – 17th, C Division – 1st)
Central Series I at Boston College – 6th of 17 Teams (A Division – 6th, B Division – 9th)
- The Lead: Powered by a first place finish in the C Division by seniors Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.) and Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii) at the Hatch Brown Trophy, MIT ended the regatta in fourth overall of 19 teams in its second home race of the year. The Engineers added a sixth place finish as a team at the Central Series I, which was hosted by Boston College, just down the river. Both the MIT coed and women's sailing teams are ranked No. 14 in the latest Sailing World National Rankings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stewart and Omura totaled 82 points in the C Division, which was 18 ahead of the second place team, No. 8 nationally ranked Dartmouth College. Seniors Kyle Joba-Woodruff (West Tisbury, Mass.) and Jordan Ladd (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands) as well as junior Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and sophomore Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) took third place in the A Division boat as they totaled 127 points, which was just behind No. 1 Yale University (94 points) and No. 3 College of Charleston (95 points). The B Division vessel, sailed by senior Elizabeth Zhang (Lexington, Mass.), Ladd, Joba-Woodruff and junior Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.), placed 17th contributing 213 points to MIT's overall score.
- At the Central Series I, the A Division boat sailed by senior Jorlyn Le Garrec (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and sophomore Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) clinched second place with 62 points just behind Yale University, which notched 50 points over the two-days at Boston College. The B Division vessel, sailed by senior Sophie Goemans (Lexington, Mass.), junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), sophomore Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) and freshman Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) took ninth place with 98 points. As a team, the two divisions combined for a team score of 160 for sixth place overall.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- At the Hatch Brown Trophy, a regatta honoring MIT's third sailing master, the A Division won four races, the B Division had a top placement of fifth during the 13th rotation and the C Division had a very strong finish as Stewart and Omura won six of the final nine rotations and notched 12 top-3 finishes over the 17 rotation two-day regatta.
- At the Central Series I, Le Garrec and Hughes led their boat to first place twice in 12 races and didn't finish any lower than ninth in two-days, while the B Division had its best placement of third during the sixth rotation of the regatta.
- MIT returns to action on Wednesday, September 21st when the Engineers host their first Midweek Firefly of the fall season beginning at 4:30 p.m. on the Charles River.