Moody Trophy at Rhode Island - 12th of 17 Teams (A Division - 8th, B Division - 13th)
- The Lead: In a weekend that saw the MIT sailing team race in only one regatta, the Engineers finished 12th overall of 17 teams at the Moody Trophy, which was hosted by the University of Rhode Island. Entering this weekend's racing, the MIT coed team was ranked No. 11 and the women's team was ranked No. 16 nationally by Sailing World College Rankings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The A Division vessel sailed by senior Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii), sophomore Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and freshman Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) totaled 46 points for 8th place. The top-3 finishing boats hailed from No. 9 Boston University, No. 13 St. Mary's and No. 1 Yale University.
- Omura, Long and Abate had their best races in rotations two and three as they produced back-to-back second place finishes. Over the six race, two-day regatta the three Engineers finished in the top-10 five times.
- The B Division vessell sailed by freshmen Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) took 13th place as they combined for 70 points. The B Division saw the top-3 finishing boats come from No. 15 Bowdoin College, No. 1 Yale University and Eckerd College.
- Duncan and McGoldrick had their best finishes come during the first and the last races of the regatta as they crossed the line seventh and sixth, respectively, in the 17 team field.
- MIT returns to action next weekend as the Engineers will host the one-day Firefly and FJ Invite on Saturday, October 15th, while some members of the team will head to Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H. for the two-day Captain Hurst Bowl.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Sailing Finishes 12th At Moody Trophy