Vietor Trophy at Coast Guard – 2nd of 16 (A Division – 3rd, B Division – 6th)
Geiger Trophy at Home – 7th of 10 (Team Race – 4-8 Record)
Graham Hall Team Race – 9th of 16 (Tram Race – 8-7 Record)
- The Lead: Despite tough weather conditions, the MIT sailing team got to compete in three regattas – two of which were team races, the Engineers first ones of the season. MIT had a best finish of second place at the Vietor Trophy hosted by the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and also placed seventh at the Geiger Trophy at home and ninth at the Graham Hall Team Race at the U.S. Naval Academy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With weather moving through the area the Vietor Trophy and the Geiger Trophy were shortened to one-day regattas. At the Vietor Trophy, the A Division vessel sailed by sophomores Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.), Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) and Noa Yoder (New York, N.Y.) came in third overall with 26 points, while the B Division boat sailed by junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.), Yoder and classmate Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) took sixth with 49 points.
- Hughes, Xi and Yoder had a strong regatta as they crossed the line first in three of seven races. The trio also had a second place finish, a fourth place finish and a fifth place finish to account for their point total. In the B Division, Farrell, Yoder and Caso finished strong as the won the final race of the regatta.
- At the Geiger Trophy, MIT used six freshmen in its first team race of the spring. Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas), Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Connor Chung (Newport Beach, Calif.) were the skippers, while Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) were the crews as the totaled a record of 4-8 for seventh place.
- The six above freshmen teamed up to claim wins over Roger Williams and Northeastern twice. In "Round 3", MIT had a record of 2-6 as they beat Northeastern by finishing first, second and fourth and Roger Williams by the same margin. In the second round of racing, MIT went 2-2 by once again beating Roger Williams by finishing first, second and sixth and Northeastern by finishing first second and fifth.
- At the Graham Hall Team Race, MIT took eight sailors to Annapolis as they finished ninth out of 16 teams with a record of 8-7. Senior Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.), juniors Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.) as well as sophomore Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) served as the skippers, while seniors Lisa Sukharev-Chuyan (Temple, N.H.), Jordan Ladd (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands) and Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii) and sophomore Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) were the crews.
- In one round of sailing, the Engineers beat host Navy (1-2-3), St. Mary's (1-2-5), Bowdoin College (1-3-4), George Washington (2-3-4), Fordham University (1-2-6), Kings Point (1-2-5), Old Dominion (1-2-4) and Jacksonville (1-2-4).
- With spring break starting this weekend, the Engineers will have some time off before returning to competition on Saturday, April 1. MIT will host the Lynne Marchiando Team Race and travel to Boston University, Brown University and Harvard University of the BU Trophy, the Dellenbaugh Trophy and the Central Series III.