Boston University Trophy - 2nd of 13 (A Division - 8th of 13, B Division - 2nd of 13)
Lynne Marchiando Team Race - 9th of 16 (13-1 Record Overall)
Central Series 3 - 9th of 16 (A Division - 11th of 16, B Division - 7th of 16)
- The Lead: Despite the tough weather this weekend, the MIT sailing team competed in three different regattas across the city of Boston. The Engineers registered their best finish (second) at the Boston University Trophy and went on to place ninth at both the Lynne Marchiando Team Race, on their home course, and the Central Series 3, hosted by Harvard University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers had their best finish of the weekend at the Boston University Trophy, where MIT placed second overall of 13 teams with 62 points. The B Division powered MIT to its team finish as junior Greta Farrell (Huntington, N.Y.) and sophomore Sarah Caso (Duxbury, Mass.) took second with 18 points. In six races, Farrell and Caso came in fifth, second, first, first, seventh and second to total their score. In the A Division, sophomores Annie Hughes (Guilford, Conn.) and Tiffany Xi (Foster City, Calif.) placed eighth with 44 points. The duo crossed the line seventh, 12th, seventh, first, fourth and 13th in the six races sailed today.
- At the Lynne Marchiando Team Race, MIT was ninth overall and first in the Silver Round Robin with a record of 13-1. From the No. 8 nationally-ranked Coed Team, the Engineers posted two wins against No. 16 Harvard University, No. 12 Stanford University, No. 14 Coast Guard, No. 18 Brown University, Eckerd College, Rhode Island and split with No. 13 Boston University. Senior Alec Stewart (Duxbury, Mass.), juniors Ty Ingram (White Plains, N.Y.) and Cutter O'Connell (Del Mar, Calif.) as well as sophomore Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) served as the skippers, while seniors Paige Omura (Honolulu, Hawaii), Jordan Ladd (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands) and Lisa Sukharev-Chuyan (Temple, N.H.) as well as Long and classmate Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) served as the crews.
- At the Central Series 3, freshman Alice Lin (Cypress, Calif.) and sophomore Thatcher Chamberlin (Camden, Maine) posted an 11th place finish with 57 points in the A Divsion, while freshman Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and sophomore John Piotti (Unity, Maine) came in seventh place with 39 points in the B Division. Lin and Chamberlin had their best races in rotations one and six as they crossed the line seventh, while Cho and Piotti earned one first place finish and one second place finish in the seven rotations sailed.
- MIT heads to Tufts University and Coast Guard next weekend as the Engineers continue their spring competition schedule. At Tufts, MIT will compete in the Fowle Trophy, the Coed Team Race Championship and at Coast Guard, the Engineers will race in the Emily Wick Trophy. Both regattas begin at 10:00 a.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Weekend Of Sailing Highlighted By Second Place Finish At Boston University Trophy