Baseball Drops 5-2 Decision At Trinity

Senior Patrick Dayton
Senior Patrick Dayton

HARTFORD, Conn. – Trinity College scored three times over the first two innings and then held off a rally by MIT to score a 5-2 victory in non-conference baseball action this afternoon. Freshman John Drago (Peoria, Ariz.) had three hits and drove in a run, while senior Rob Bertucci (Belleville, Ill.) threw three innings of hitless relief for the Engineers.

After Trinity (6-10) scored an unearned run in the first on a wild pitch, the Bantams scored twice more in the second to take a 3-0 lead. A pair of hit batters and a double steal put runners on second and third with one away for Mackenze Genauer, who singled to right to bring home both runners. 

MIT (7-4) starter, sophomore Alan Wang (Paoli, Pa.) kept it a three-run game over the next three innings as he allowed just a single and a walk from the third through the fifth to keep the Engineers close. In the bottom of the sixth Carson Kenney led off with a double to end Wang's day and bring in Bertucci from the bullpen. A hit batter and a ground out put runners on second and third for the Bantams, who picked up their fourth run when Nick DiBenedetto grounded out to third. A wild pitch then allowed what proved to be the final run of the day for Trinity cross the plate.

Trinity starter, Jed Robinson, had held MIT off the board over the first six innings, allowing just five hits and no walks. In the seventh, however, he ran into trouble when senior Patrick Dayton (Archer City, Texas) led off with a single and then moved to second on a groundout. Junior K.J. Parent (Knoxville, Tenn.) then followed with a double that brought in Dayton with the first run of the day for the Engineers and knocked Robinson out of the game. David O'Brien came in from the pen for Trinity and recorded the second out, but Drago came up with a two-out double that made it 5-2. 

From there the bullpens did not allow another run, as Bertucci allowed just a walk over his final two innings, while O'Brien and Patrick Carbone did not allow a hit over the final two innings for Trinity. MIT did get their leadoff runner aboard in the ninth on an error, but Carbone came back with a strikeout and then a double play ball to end the threat and pick up the save.

MIT will play again tomorrow when it travels to Springfield College for a 3:30 p.m. contest that was postponed from Tuesday. The Engineers and Pride will complete the game that was suspended in the top of the 15th inning last week prior to playing the regularly scheduled contest. Trinity will play again on Friday when the Bantams will host Colby College at 3:30 p.m.