- Score: WPI 7, MIT 3
- Records: MIT (11-6, 6-3 NEWMAC); WPI (16-8, 5-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Fran O'Brien Field)
- The Lead: In the first meeting of the season between the two teams, the MIT baseball team dropped a 7-3 final to visiting WPI on a warm Tuesday afternoon at Fran O'Brien Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ryan Tropeano led off the game for WPI with a double down the right field line and eventually scored on a throwing error by MIT for the 1-0 lead. Tropeano stole third and came home as the catcher's throw went wide of the base. Evan Lacroix scored on a passed ball in the second for the 2-0 lead, followed by a Lacroix RBI double off the left field wall in the third that brought home Steven Gallagher with one out. Freshman Jared Tramontano (Corona, Calif.) got the visitors to ground into a 5-3 double play however to get MIT out of the jam trailing 3-0.
- In the fifth, MIT sophomore Jack Murphy (Pleasanton, Calif.) came on in relief of Tramantano, allowing a two-out run by Lacroix on a wild pitch for the 4-0 edge. After two runs scored in the seventh, MIT got on the board with a pair of runs with two outs in the frame. Junior Kyler Kocher (Mesa, Ariz.) singled through the left side to reach before scoring on a sacrifice fly, while a double down the left field line by Alec Kushner (Cooper City, Fla.) scored Max Lancaster (Attleboro, Mass.).
- WPI pushed across another run in the top of the eighth as Gallagher scored on an RBI hit through the right side that was nearly stopped on a diving play by Kocher. Leading 7-2, the Engineers gave way to reliever Mike Vaitkunas to start the eighth after freshman starter Keith Scales threw 95 pitches over seven solid innings of work.
- MIT picked up a run in the eighth as junior Austin Filiere (Chandler, Ariz.) scored on an RBI single up the middle from junior Garrett Greenwood (Edmond, Okla.) before Mike Duclos came on in the ninth and retired MIT in order on nine pitches to end the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Eight different players registered at least one hit for MIT, led by a 2-for-4 performance by Filiere that included a double as he reached base for the 17th time this season and in his 46th straight game overall.
- For WPI, Gallagher finished 3-for-4 with two runs and Lacroix was 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. Tropeano and Austin Lindner also added two hits each in the win.
- Scales picked up the win for WPI to move to 2-1 as he scattered five hits with four strikeouts over seven innings. Tramantano took the loss for MIT to fall to 1-2 as he gave up five hits over four innings with five walks and six strikeouts.
- MIT returns to action on Wednesday, April 12th as the Engineers travel to Worcester State University for a non-conference game beginning at 3:30 p.m.