- Event: Bates College
- Location: Charles River (Cambridge, Mass.)
- The Lead: For the third year in a row the MIT men's heavyweight Varsity 8 defeated Bates College on Saturday morning. In the 2V8 competition the Engineers came in second, sandwiched between the Bobcats' 2V8 and 3V8 entries.
HOW IT HAPPENED – V8:
- Racing on good water with a 5-7 mile per hour cross-tailwind, MIT had a blazing fast start, grabbing a one length lead by the 400-meter mark. Tech and Bates then jockeyed back and forth until the sprint, when the Bobcats took back a seat or two, but not enough to deny the Engineers the win. MIT crossed the finish line in 6:02, just two seconds ahead of Bates.
HOW IT HAPPENED – 2V8:
- MIT rowed a solid race but was slightly slower than Bates in each 500, finishing four seconds behind the Bobcats with a time of 6:18.123. The Engineers did record a comfortable 11-second win over the 3V8 from Bates.
- MIT closes out the regular season on Saturday, April 29 by hosting the Cochrane Cup.