- Event: Cochrane Cup
- Location: Charles River (Cambridge, Mass.)
- The Lead: Racing on flat water with a slight headwind, the MIT men's heavyweight crew team battled with Wisconsin for the Cochrane Cup while local foe Boston University joined the action on Saturday morning. BU, Wisconsin, and the Engineers finished 1-2-3 in both the Varsity 8 and 2V8 competitions.
HOW IT HAPPENED – V8:
- Inaugurated in 1961, the Cochrane Cup is awarded to the winner of the MIT-Wisconsin varsity heavyweight race. In this year's outing, the Engineers led off the start but were overtaken by the Terriers and Badgers. BU edged out Wisconsin, 5:54.189-5:55.506, while MIT crossed the line in 6:13.227. With their 17-second win over the Engineers, the Badgers retained the Cochrane Cup.
HOW IT HAPPENED – 2V8:
- In its final tune-up of the regular season, MIT generated a time of 6:38.850. BU captured the win with a time of 5:58.397, four seconds ahead of Wisconsin.
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, May 14 for the EARC Sprints to be held on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.