- Event: IRA National Championship
- Location: Lake Natoma (Sacramento, Calif.)
- The Lead: The MIT men's heavyweight crew team capped off its season by capturing 11th place in the Varsity 4+ portion of the IRA National Championship held this past weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT opened the competition on Friday by placing fourth in its heat with a time of 6:53.569, five seconds ahead of Penn. The Engineers returned to the water that afternoon for the repechage where they secured the runner-up slot, crossing the finish line six seconds after Boston University.
- In Saturday's semifinal MIT ranked sixth by recording a time of 6:36.883, helping it secure a spot in the Petite Final.
- Racing in warm and sunny conditions with a light headwind for its final race on Sunday, Tech battled the fours from Wisconsin and Dartmouth to the line. Wisconsin nipped the Engineers by one second (6:46.591 – 6:47.503), however, MIT edged out Dartmouth by one-tenth of a second to finish 11th overall.