- Event: Temple and Delaware; Penn
- Location: Schuylkill River (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- The Lead: In a pair of outings on the Schuylkill River, the MIT men's lightweight crew battled Temple and Delaware on Saturday morning before returning to the water later in the day against Penn. Victories by the Varsity 4 highlighted the day for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Temple and Delaware:
- Racing in flat conditions with little wind, MIT's Varsity 4+ had a strong first half of its race but couldn't sustain the pace during the last 500 meters. However, the Engineers had enough of a lead to edge out Delaware, 7:14.4 – 7:15.3 at the finish line.
- MIT's Varsity 8 was a little rough off the line but was strong during the middle portion of the race. The Engineers came in third with a time of 6:11.5, two seconds behind Temple and six seconds behind Delaware.
- Tech's 2V8 was strong off the start, however, it was overtaken by a pair of Delaware boats. The Blue Hens posted times of 6:14.4 and 6:21.6 with MIT taking third in 6:29.9.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Penn:
- MIT battled choppy water and a cross-headwind at approximately 13-15 miles per hour during its afternoon races. Despite the significantly different conditions, the Varsity 4+ claimed its second victory of the day. Capitalizing on a rocky start by Penn's "A" boat, the Engineers put together their best race of the season and finished in 7:25.2. The Quakers' "B" squad was eight-tenths of a second behind MIT while their "A" entry crossed the line in 7:27.6.
- MIT's Varsity 8 displayed a lot of strong elements to its race but was overpowered by a very talented Penn squad which recorded a 20-second win (6:06.2 – 6:26.0).
- The Engineers' 2V8 put together another good start but once again it struggled to maintain its momentum midway through the course. As a result, Penn claimed the top two spots with times of 6:07.6 and 6:26.9 while MIT came in at 6:29.0.
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, May 14 for the EARC Sprints to be held on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.