- Event: IRA National Championship
- Location: Lake Natoma (Sacramento, Calif.)
- The Lead: In its final outing of the season, the MIT men's lightweight crew team competed at the IRA National Championship this past weekend. The Engineers saw both their Varsity 4+ and Varsity 4- place fourth in their respective Petite Finals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- During Friday's heats, the Varsity 4+ placed fifth with a time of 6:54.464 which was seven seconds ahead of Georgetown. The Varsity 4- also claimed fifth place as it crossed the finish line in 16:47.141.
- In Sunday's Petite Finals, the Varsity 4+ had a tight race with Cornell end to end. Ultimately, the Big Red won on the surge, edging out the Engineers by two-tenths of a second (6:41.234 – 6:41.437). The Varsity 4- battled a trio of powerful crews in its Petite Final which resulted in a fourth-place finish with a time of 6:36.392.