- Event: Geiger Cup
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Charles River)
- The Lead: Competing in its final home event of the season, the MIT men's lightweight crew team finished third in both the Varsity 8 and Second Varsity 8 races of the Geiger Cup on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After losing almost a boat length on the start, the Varsity 8 gained on nationally-ranked No. 4 Cornell briefly during the middle of the race, but MIT could not overcome the distance. As a result, the No. 12 Engineers finished third in 6:38.998. No. 2 Columbia won with a time of 6:17.153, almost six seconds ahead of Cornell.
- The Second Varsity 8 had a similar start to its race but was overpowered by Columbia and Cornell. Columbia captured the victory (6:20.407), followed by Cornell (6:25.066), and MIT (6:42.057).
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, May 13 when it travels to Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. for the EARC Sprints.