Men's Tennis Defeats Babson, 8-1
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In the team’s final home match of the season, the No. 26 MIT men’s tennis team defeated New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) opponent Babson College, 8-1, Thursday on the DuPont Tennis Courts. With the win, the Engineers (10-1, 4-0 NEWMAC) remain undefeated in conference play and extend their winning streak to four.
In doubles, MIT’s Kevin Pang and Larry Pang had no trouble sweeping Babson’s Simeon Human and Austin Conti in the No. 2 position [8-0], while Andrew Cooper and Tymor Hamamsy were successful in the No. 3 spot [8-3]. Babson’s Brian Lafayette and Justin Albert were impressive in the No. 1 match, handing a rare loss to MIT’s Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak [8-5].
At singles, Van Tilburg returned the favor to Albert [6-2, 6-1] in the No. 1 matchup and Kevin Pang [6-3, 6-3] picked up the win at No. 2. Larry Pang swept Babson’s Ken Lin [6-0, 6-0] and Samuel Harmatz [6-3, 6-2] and Brian Oldfield [7-5, 6-1] also scored match points for the Engineers. Skalak completed the MIT sweep in the No. 6 slot, edging Danny Schneider in a tiebreak [7-5, 4-6 (10-6)].
The Engineers are on the road for their final two regular-season matches, beginning with their final NEWMAC rival, Clark University, on Saturday, April 17 at 1 p.m.
1. Brian Lafayette/Justin Albert (BAB) def. Ken Van Tilburg/Matthew Skalak (MIT) 8-5
2. Kevin Pang/Larry Pang (MIT) def. Simeon Human/Austin Conti (BAB) 8-0
3. Andrew Cooper/Tymor Hamamsy (MIT) def. Taylor Dutton/Zach Ringer (BAB) 8-3
1. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Justin Albert (BAB) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kevin Pang (MIT) def. Austin Conti (BAB) 6-3, 6-3
3. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Ken Lin (BAB) 6-0, 6-0
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Simeon Human (BAB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Brian Lafayette (BAB) 7-5, 6-1
6. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Danny Schneider (BAB) 7-5, 4-6, (10-6)