LEWISTON, Maine - The MIT men's tennis team traveled to Bates College on Saturday for a non-conference match as part of the Bobcats' spring-season opener. No. 20 Bates defeated the University of Southern Maine 9-0 in the morning before MIT came away with a 6-3 win in the afternoon in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
The Bobcats started out with a 2-1 lead over the Engineers after doubles play. MIT's Kevin Pang and Larry Pang took the No. 1 doubles easily [9-1], while Bates senior Max Berger and first-year Robert Crampton won in a tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles and first-year Matthew Bettles and sophomore Jeffrey Beaton prevailed 9-7 at No. 3 doubles.
MIT surged back in singles play, winning in five of six matches, including freshman Brian Oldfield's rout of senior Zach Fenno at No. 6 singles [6-0, 6-4].
Bates (1-1) next plays at Babson on March 5 at 5 p.m, while the Engineers (5-0) host the Fighting Scots of Gordon College on March 18 at 4 p.m.
MIT 6, Bates 3
1. K. Pang/L. Pang (MIT) def. A. Rupasinghe/M. Reiss (B); 9-1
2. M. Berger/R. Crampton (B) def. K. Van Tilburg/M. Skalak (MIT); 9-8(7)
3. M. Bettles/J. Beaton (B) def. A. Cooper/T. Hamamsy (MIT); 9-7
1. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Michael Reiss (B); 6-0, 7-6(5)
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Kevin Pang (MIT); 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
3. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Maxwell Berger (B); 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Matthew Bettles (B); 7-5, 6-3
5. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Robert Crampton (B); 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-3
6. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Zach Fenno (B); 6-0, 6-4