- Score: No. 21 MIT 7, Vassar College 2
- Records: MIT (9-1); Vassar College (9-7)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: The No. 21 nationally-ranked MIT men's tennis team came away with a 7-2 victory over non-conference foe Vassar College on Friday afternoon in Cambridge. In the all-time series with Vassar which dates back to 2007-08, MIT is now 4-1 against the Brewers. In the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northeast Regional Rankings, MIT came in at No. 7 and Vassar was No. 16.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after sweeping doubles play to start the match. Sophomore Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) teamed up with junior Bryan Lilley (Edmond, Okla.) for an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles and was followed by sophomore Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and freshman Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.), who won 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. The closest doubles match of the day came at the No. 3 position where sophomore Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and senior Kenny Gea (Irvine, Calif.) edged out Nick Litsky and Nick Zuczek by a 9-7 final.
- Tonight marked the first time this spring that Ko and Gea have teamed up in doubles play as it worked in their favor and are now 1-0 together, while the No. 1 pairing of Cauneac and Lilley improve to 6-6 overall and 4-4 this spring as a duo and the No. 2 pairing of Barr and Go are 6-5 overall and 5-2 this spring at their position.
- Lilley and Go sealed the match for the Engineers during singles play tonight as they both claimed duplicate 6-2, 6-4 wins over their respective opponents. Go defeated Allen Sokolov at No. 2 singles, while Lilley bested Juan Felipe Laso at No. 3 singles. Lilley's win improved him to 4-0 this spring in singles action.
- Gea and sophomore Henry La Soya (Los Angeles, Calif.) were the other two winners for MIT today as Gea claimed a 6-4, 4-6, 10-6 win over Jamie Anderson at No. 4 singles, while La Soya took his match 8-5 over Jeremy Auh at No. 5 singles.
- MIT (9-1) welcomes Springfield College to Cambridge for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match beginning at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, while Vassar heads to Babson College for an out of league contest starting at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.