- Score: No. 17 Tufts University 6, No. 21 MIT 3
- Records: No. 21 MIT (2-2), No. 17 Tufts (1-0)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: In its first match against a Division III opponent this season, the No. 21 MIT men's tennis team fell to No. 17 Tufts University by a final score of 6-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tufts jumped out to the early 3-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles matches. Rohan Gupte and Zain Ali topped Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.), 8-5, at No. 1, Carl Grant and Ben Battle defeated Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.), 8-6, at No. 2 and Boris Sorkin and Ethan Bershtein edged Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.), 8-6, at No. 3.
- MIT was able to win three matches in singles play, but Tufts answered with three wins of its own to defeat the Engineers by a 6-3 final score. Barr, was up in the third set 5-4 after splitting sets one and two, won by default at No. 1. Cheng earned a hard-fought three-set win over Battle by set scores of 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, while Go defeated Danny Coran in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5.
- The No. 6 singles point could have swung either way, but it was Ben Biswas of Tufts who edged Zhao in three sets, 6-2, 2-6, 10-5.
- MIT returns to action next Saturday, March 17 when the Engineers host No. 3 Middlebury College at 10:00 a.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.