MIT Defeats Brandeis, 6-3
March 3, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team swept the doubles matches and won the top three singles matches en route to a 6-3 victory over Brandeis University on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 2-0 on the year while the Judges dropped their first contest of the season.
The No. 3 doubles team of Melvin Makhni and Colin Klick defeated Adam Ciminello and Cliff Silverman, 8-2, for MIT's first victory of the day. David Iba and Mark Egan collaborated for an 8-5 decision over Adam Sher and Scott Schulman in the No. 2 slot. Thomas Dohlman and Eric Beren wrapped up doubles play by posting an 8-4 win in the top spot versus Sam Jonas and Jordan Bieber.
Dohlman extended the Engineers' lead to 4-0 following a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Jonas. Egan clinched the match with a 6-3, 7-5 decision against Bieber in the No. 3 position. Silverman put Brandeis on the board following a 6-1, 6-4 win over Peden Nichols. MIT notched its last victory of the day in the No. 2 singles slot when Beren defeated Sher, 6-5, 7-6 (5).
The Judges closed the gap by winning the No. 5 and No. 6 matches in the super-tiebreaker. Klick recorded a 6-2 score in the first set, but Schulman answered with a win of his own by the same margin. He then outlasted Klick, 10-7, to earn the No. 5 singles victory. In the final match of the day, Derek Tesser posted a 6-4 decision in the opening set, but MIT's Manuel Rivera won the second set, 6-3. Tesser bounced back to register a score of 10-6 in the super-tiebreaker.
Next up for MIT will be a home match against Gordon College on Monday, March 5 while Brandeis will face Connecticut College and Middlebury College next Saturday in Middlebury, Vt.
Brandeis University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Brandeis 3
1. Thomas Dohlman/Eric Beren (M) def. Sam Jonas/Jordan Bieber (B), 8-4
2. David Iba/Mark Egan (M) def. Adam Sher/Scott Schulman (B), 8-5
3. Melvin Makhni/Colin Klick (M) def. Adam Ciminello/Cliff Silverman (B), 8-2
1. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Sam Jonas (B), 6-2, 6-4
2. Eric Beren (M) def. Adam Sher (B), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Mark Egan (M) def. Jordan Bieber (B), 6-3, 7-5
4. Cliff Silverman (B) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-1, 6-4
5. Scott Schulman (B) def. Colin Klick (M), 6-2, 2-6 (10-7)
6. Derek Tesser (B) def. Manuel Rivera (M), 4-6, 6-3 (10-6)