Tech Sweeps Endicott, 9-0
March 9, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the programs' inaugural meeting, the regionally-ranked No. 10 MIT men's tennis team defeated Endicott College, 9-0, on Saturday. The decision lifted the Engineers' ledger to 5-1 while the Gulls fell in their season-opener.
David Iba and Jonathan Farm opened the match with an 8-0 victory over Marc Maloney and Gabiel Moraga in the No. 3 doubles position. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg defeated Josh Schoen and Devon Locke, 8-1, in the top spot while Peden Nichols and Kevin Pang edged out Dan Murray and Scott Teller, 8-4.
In singles action, Pang did not drop a game in his 6-0, 6-0 decision over Teller in the No. 3 slot. Nichols topped Locke, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 4 position as Van Tilburg defeated Schoen, 6-2, 6-0, in the No. 2 spot. Ryan Castonia upended Maloney, 6-2, 6-1, in the fifth slot while Beren recorded a 6-4, 6-1 win over Murray in the top spot. Manuel Rivera fended off Moraga, 6-1, 7-5, to cap the match in the No. 6 position.
MIT also captured both exhibition singles matches, with Rajat Bhalla defeating Darcy Wiart, 6-1, 6-0, and Iba sweeping Justin Nguyen, 6-0, 6-0.
Next up for MIT will be a home match against Gordon College on Monday, March 10. Endicott will resume action on Wednesday, March 12 when it travels to Saint Anselm College.
Endicott College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Endicott 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Josh Schoen/Devon Locke (E), 8-1
2. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M) def. Dan Murray/Scott Teller (E), 8-4
3. Jonathan Farm/David Iba (M) def. Marc Maloney/Gabiel Moraga (E), 8-0
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Dan Murray (E), 6-4, 6-1
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Josh Schoen (E), 6-2, 6-0
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. Scott Teller (E), 6-0, 6-0
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Devon Locke (E), 6-1, 6-0
5. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Marc Maloney (E), 6-2, 6-1
6. Manuel Rivera (M) def. Gabiel Moraga (E), 6-1, 7-5
7. Rajat Bhalla (M) def. Darcy Wiart (E), 6-1, 6-0
8. David Iba (M) def. Justin Nguyen (E), 6-0, 6-0