MIT Eases Past Emerson, 7-0
March 19, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the inaugural meeting between both programs, the MIT men's tennis team defeated Emerson College, 7-0. The decision lifted the Engineers' ledger to 7-3 on the year while the Lions fell in their season-opener.
Regionally-ranked No. 10 MIT notched scores of 8-2 in every doubles match. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg did the honors in the top spot while Kevin Pang and David Iba topped Mercer and Fein. Peden Nichols and Ryan Castonia defeated McKinney and Gardner in the No. 3 position.
Beren led off singles play with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Kapur as Van Tilburg defeated Bellino, 6-1, 6-2. In the No. 3 slot, Nichols edged out Crosley, 6-4, 6-2, while Castonia picked up the last point of the day with his 6-2, 6-1 decision over Fein.
Next up for MIT will be a home match against Skidmore College on Friday, March 21. Emerson will take on Albertus Magnus College on Saturday, March 22 in Weymouth, Mass.
Emerson College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Emerson 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Kapur/Bellino (E), 8-2
2. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Mercer/Fein (E), 8-2
3. Peden Nichols/Ryan Castonia (M) def. McKinney/Gardner (E), 8-2
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Kapur (E), 6-4, 6-2
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Bellino (E), 6-1, 6-2
3. Peden Nichols (M) def. Crosley (E), 6-4, 6-2
4. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Fein (E), 6-2, 6-1
5. Robert Wheeler (M) vs. Mercer (E), Halted
6. Stephen Powelson (M) vs. McKinney (E), Halted