Men's Tennis Defeats Colby, 4-3
March 20, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - For the first time in the history of the men's and women's tennis programs both squads defeated Colby College in the same season, let alone the same day. The men's team recorded a 4-3 victory while the women won, 5-4, on Saturday. The men's squad posted their first win over the Mules since the 1995-96 season as the women's team defeated Colby for the first time since 2000-01. All four teams first squared off during the same season 20 years ago, with the men blanking the Mules, 9-0. Last season, the Engineers dropped both decisions by one point.
Colby took the doubles point with a pair of 8-3 decisions over No. 2 Eric Beren and Peden Nichols and No. 3 Mark Egan and Kevin Durand. Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman notched an 8-5 win in the top spot.
Tech quickly faced a 3-0 deficit as Egan and Nichols lost, 6-4, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-4. MIT responded by taking the rest of the singles matches for the win. Tindell and Beren both opened their matches with 6-2 victories and then bounced back from 6-4 losses in the second set to close the match with scores of 6-3 and 6-4, respectively. Dohlman secured another singles win by taking the tiebreaker for a 6-4, 7-6 (5) decision in the No. 2 slot. Melvin Makhni clinched the match with a 6-2, 7-6 (4) victory.
MIT vs. Colby College
Final Team Score: MIT 4, Colby 3
1. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Crane/Schuman (C), 8-5
2. Saunders/Brown (C) def. Eric Beren/Peden Nichols (M), 8-3
3. Fuhriman/Chin (C) def. Mark Egan/Kevin Durand (M), 8-3
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Saunders (C), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Brown (C), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Eric Beren (M) def. Crane (C), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Schuman (C) def. Mark Egan (M), 6-4, 6-1
5. Fuhriman (C) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-3, 6-4
6. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Chin (C), 6-2, 7-6 (4)