March 21, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The regionally-ranked No. 11 MIT men's tennis team suffered its second home loss of the season following a 7-2 decision at the hands of Skidmore College on Friday. With the win, the regionally-ranked No. 13 Thoroughbreds improved to 7-5 on the year while the Engineers fell to 7-4.
Skidmore opened the match with a doubles sweep that was kicked off with Jared Karlebach and Carl-Eric Girardin's 8-4 victory over Kevin Pang and David Iba in the top spot. Spencer Chang and Lorenzo Carbrera defeated Peden Nichols and Michael Price by the same margin in the No. 2 slot. The Thoroughbreds extended their lead after Yahia Imam and Jeremy Hogan topped Brendan McCord and Robert Wheeler.
In singles action, Girardin outlasted Pang, 5-6, 7-5, 5-2 in the No. 1 position. MIT found success in the No. 2 and No. 3 slots as Nichols defeated Karlebach, 1-6, 6-0, 6-2 while Iba registered a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Imam. Cheng picked up a 6-3, 0-6, 6-2 win over Price as Wheeler fell to Cabrera, 6-1, 6-2. Skidmore closed out the match with T.J. David's 6-1, 6-1 decision over Stephen Powelson.
MIT's next match will be its NEWMAC opener on Saturday, March 29 against Springfield College. Skidmore will continue play on Saturday, March 22 when it travels to Wheaton College.
Skidmore College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: Skidmore 7, MIT 2
1. Jared Karlebach/Carl-Eric Girardin (S) def. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M), 8-4
2. Spencer Cheng/Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. Peden Nichols/Michael Price (M), 8-4
3. Yahia Imam/Jeremy Hogan (S) def. Brendan McCord/Robert Wheeler (M)
1. Carl-Eric Girardin (S) def. Kevin Pang (M), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Peden Nichols (M) def. Jared Karlebach (S), 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. David Iba (M) def. Yahia Imam (S), 6-2, 6-2
4. Spencer Cheng (S) def. Michael Price (M), 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
5. Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. Robert Wheeler (M), 6-1, 6-2
6. T.J. David (S) def. Stephen Powelson (M), 6-1, 6-1