April 10, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Regionally-ranked No. 11 MIT remained undefeated in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's tennis action with a 9-0 sweep of Clark University on Wednesday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 10-5 and 3-0 in league play while the Cougars fell to 2-6 overall and 0-3 in the NEWMAC.
Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg along with Kevin Pang and David Iba posted 8-1 victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles spots, respectively. Peden Nichols and Robert Wheeler knocked off Clark's Tridib Chowdhury and Ammer Tareen, playing in their first match of the season, by the same score in the No. 3 slot.
In top singles position, Beren blanked Adam Bisceglia (6-0, 6-0), while Pang dropped just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Rocco Li at No. 2. Van Tilburg topped Socheata Ly, 6-1, 6-0, as Aaron Chin played Clark's closest match of the day in a losing, 6-1, 6-3 effort to Nichols. Iba and Wheeler wrapped up the match with decisions of 6-1, 6-1, and 6-0, 6-2, respectively.
MIT vs. Clark University
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Clark 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adam Bisceglia/Rocco Li (C), 8-1
2. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Aaron Chin/Nathan Maltais (C), 8-1
3. Peden Nichols/Robert Wheeler (M) def. Tridib Chowdhury/Ammer Tareen (C), 8-1
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Adam Bisceglia (C), 6-0, 6-0
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Rocco Li (C), 6-1, 6-1
3. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Socheata Ly (C), 6-1, 6-0
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Aaron Chin (C), 6-1, 6-3
5. David Iba (M) def. Nathan Maltais (C), 6-1, 6-1
6. Robert Wheeler (M) d. Tridib Chowdury (C) 6-0, 6-2