MIT Captures Eighth Consecutive NEWMAC Regular Season Title
April 22, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, MASS. - In a battle of undefeated teams and the No. 1 seed on the line for the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship Tournament, MIT upended Wheaton College, 7-0, on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 10-2 on the year and 5-0 in conference play while the Lyons fell to 10-4 overall and 4-1 in the NEWMAC.
Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman defeated Payum Payman and Sean Daly in the top spot with a score of 8-3. Eric Beren and Mark Egan clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory over Brian Danishevsky and Brad Dressler. Peden Nichols and Melvin Makhni fell to Nick Potter and Matt Sheers,8-5, in the No. 3 position.
Tindell led off singles play with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Payman. Dohlman extended Tech's lead by defeating Daly, 6-4, 6-2. Beren clinched the match in the No. 3 spot with a 6-3, 6-0 decision against Danishevsky. Makhni recorded MIT's fourth straight-set win of the day, taking a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Potter in the No. 6 position. Nichols won the opening set of his No. 5 match against Dressler, 6-4, but lost the next frame, 6-0. Nichols bounced back with a 10-4 score in the tiebreaker. Egan capped the day by holding on, 6-1, 7-5, in his battle with Sheers.
Wheaton will host the semifinal and championship rounds of the NEWMAC Tournament on Saturday, April 29.
Wheaton College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Wheaton 0
1. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Payum Payman/Sean Daly (W), 8-3
2. Eric Beren/Mark Egan (M) def. Brian Danishevsky/Brad Dressler (W), 8-5
3. Nick Potter/Matt Sheers (W) def. Peden Nichols/Melvin Makhni (M), 8-5
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Payum Payman (W), 6-4, 6-4
2. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Sean Daly (W), 6-4, 6-2
3. Eric Beren (M) def. Brian Danishevsky (W), 6-3, 6-0
4. Mark Egan (M) def. Matt Sheers (W), 6-1, 7-5
5. Peden Nichols (M) def. Brad Dressler (W), 6-4, 0-6, 10-4
6. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Nick Potter (W), 6-4, 6-1
7. Rajat Bhalla (M) def. Unknown opponent (W), 8-4
8. Michael Price (M) def. Unknown opponent (W), 8-2