Engineers Capture Ninth NEWMAC Regular Season Title
April 22, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In a battle of undefeated conference foes, MIT registered a 6-3 win over Wheaton College in the NEWMAC regular-season finale for both squads on Saturday. With the victory, the Engineers (11-5, 5-0 NEWMAC) collected their ninth consecutive regular season conference championship in the NEWMAC's nine-year history.
MIT quickly established a 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches. Thomas Dohlman and Eric Beren posted an 8-4 decision in the top spot as David Iba and Peden Nichols outlasted Brian Danishevsky and Raymour Radhakrishnan, 8-5. Said Francis and Melvin Makhni wrapped up play with an 8-3 victory.
The doubles wins proved to be critical as each side registered a trio of singles victories. Dohlman fell to Payum Payman, 3-6, 7-6, 10-8, in the No. 1 slot while Beren countered with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Danishevsky. In the No. 3 position, Brad Dressler defeated Nichols, 4-6, 7-5, 10-8, as Makhni responded with a 6-3, 6-1 victory. Francis continued the trend with a 7-6, 6-0 decision in the No. 5 spot before Vinith Misra fell, 5-7, 6-0, 10-5.
Both squads earned byes in the opening round of the NEWMAC Tournament which kicks off on Thursday, April 26. MIT will host the semifinal and championship matches beginning at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 28.
No. 22 MIT vs. Wheaton College
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Wheaton 3
1. Thomas Dohlman/Eric Beren (M) def. Payum Payman/Brad Dressler (W), 8-4
2. David Iba/Peden Nichols (M) def. Brian Danishevsky/Raymour Radhakrishnan (W), 8-5
3. Said Francis/Melvin Makhni (M) def. Will Stoddard/James Little (W), 8-3
1. Payum Payman (W) def. Thomas Dohlman (M), 3-6, 7-6, 10-8
2. Eric Beren (M) def. Brian Danishevsky (W), 6-4, 6-0
3. Brad Dressler (W) def. Peden Nichols (M), 4-6, 7-5, 10-8
4. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Will Stoddard (W), 6-3, 6-1
5. Said Francis (M) def. Raymour Radhakrishnan (W), 7-6, 6-0
6. Kyle Hudgins (W) def. Vinith Misra (M), 5-7, 6-0, 10-5