April 30, 2006
Wheaton College Sports Information
NORTON, Mass. - The top-seeded MIT men's tennis team won its eighth New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament championship in the league's eight-year history following Saturday's 4-1 finals victory at No. 2 Wheaton College.
The No. 17 nationally-ranked Engineers improved to 12-2 overall. Wheaton, which became the first team to score against MIT in tournament competition, entered the match ranked 25th in the country and fell to 11-6. The Engineers are 16-0 in tournament play and have outscored those teams by a 68-1 margin.
Meeting the Lyons in the conference tournament final for the second straight season and third time since 2000, MIT took the doubles point by securing 8-3 and 8-5 wins in the first and third slots, respectively. Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman were victorious in the top slot, while Said Francis and Jonathan Farm won at No. 3. Wheaton's Brian Danishevsky and Brad Dressler held a narrow 8-7 edge over Mark Egan and Eric Beren at second doubles but didn't finish due to the doubles point already being decided.
In singles play, the Engineers posted victories in the first, third and sixth slots to clinch the overall team title. Tindell secured a 6-4, 6-4 win against Payum Payman at one, Beren defeated Matt Sheers 6-1, 6-0 at three, and Melvin Makhni registered a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Nick Potter.
Danishevsky became the first player to take a point from the conference power with a 6-1, 6-2 final against Egan. Wheaton nearly captured two additional points before MIT won the team title by decision. Dressler opened his match in the fifth position with a 6-1 win in the first set and was serving match point in the second against Peden Nichols. Sean Daly won his opening set versus Thomas Dohlman and held a 5-4 lead.
MIT vs. Wheaton College
Final Team Score: MIT 4, Wheaton 1
1. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Payum Payman/Sean Daly (W), 8-3
2. Brian Danishevsky/Brad Dressler (W) vs. Eric Beren/Mark Egan (M), 8-7 (Halted)
3. Jonathan Farm/Said Francis (M) def. Matt Sheers/Nick Potter (W), 8-5
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Payum Payman (W), 6-4, 6-4
2. Sean Daly (W) vs. Thomas Dohlman (M), 6-4, 5-4 (Halted)
3. Eric Beren (M) def. Matt Sheers (W), 6-1, 6-0
4. Brian Danishevsky (W) def. Mark Egan (M), 6-1, 6-2
5. Brad Dressler (W) vs. Peden Nichols (M), 6-1, 5-4 (Halted)
6. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Nick Potter (W), 6-2, 6-4