Men's Tennis Overpowers UMass-Boston, 9-0
Sept. 24, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The MIT men’s tennis team recorded a 9-0 win over UMass-Boston in the season-opener for both squads on Wednesday. The Engineers posted straight-set decisions in all six singles matches.
Ken Van Tilburg and Brian Wee along with Samuel Harmatz and Ryan Castonia recorded 8-1 victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. In the top spot, Kevin Pang and David Iba outlasted Paul Braude and Eric Pease, 8-6.
Harmatz did not surrender a game in his No. 3 singles match with Ali Al-Sabbagh. Pang and Castonia notched identical 6-1, 6-0 scores in the No. 2 and No. 4 spots, respectively. Manuel Rivera and Robert Wheeler each picked up wins of 6-0, 6-2 while Van Tilburg topped Braude, 6-2, 6-3, in the No. 1 position.
UMass-Boston vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, UMass-Boston 0
1. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Paul Braude/Eric Pease (UMB), 8-6
2. Ken Van Tilburg/Brian Wee (M) def. Ali Al-Sabbagh/Reinaldo Lopes (UMB), 8-1
3. Samuel Harmatz/Ryan Castonia (M) def. Dara Chaun/Anh Phi (UMB), 8-1
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Paul Braude (UMB), 6-2, 6-3
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Eric Pease (UMB), 6-1, 6-0
3. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Ali Al-Sabbagh (UMB), 6-0, 6-0
4. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Reinaldo Lopes (UMB), 6-1, 6-0
5. Manuel Rivera (M) def. Amit Kumar (UMB), 6-0, 6-2
6. Robert Wheeler (M) def. Anh Phi (UMB), 6-0, 6-2