Tech Takes First Dual Match Of Season
Oct. 7, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Competing in its first dual match of the 2005-06 campaign, the MIT men's tennis team posted a 6-1 victory over host Brandeis University on Thursday.
In the top doubles spot, Mark Egan and Eric Beren lost a close match to Mike Vulfovich and Scott Schulman in a tie breaker after having three match points, 8-7 (8-6). Evan Tindell and Krishna Pokala defeated Rob Friedman and Hart Comess-Daniels, 8-2, while Paden Nichols and Colin Klick won, 8-6.
The Engineers controlled singles play as all six players won their first sets. Pokala was first off the court after recording a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Adam Sher in the No. 4 spot. Tindell finished next with a 6-1, 6-1 win in the No. 1 position. Nichols clinched the match for Tech by shutting out Derek Tesser, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 6 slot. Egan notched a 6-4, 6-2 win while Klick defeated Comess-Daniels, 6-3, 6-3. Beren dropped a tough three-set match to Friedman, falling2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
MIT vs. Brandeis University
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Brandeis 1
1. Mike Vulfovich/Scott Schulman (B) def. Mark Egan/Eric Beren (M), 8-7 (8-6)
2. Evan Tindell/Krishna Pokala (M) def. Rob Friedman/Hart Comess-Daniels (B), 8-2
3. Paden Nichols/Colin Klick (M) def. Adam Sher/Chris Hersel (B), 8-6
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Mike Vulfovich (B), 6-1, 6-1
2. Rob Friedman (B) def. Eric Beren (M), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Mark Egan (M) def. Scott Schulman (B), 6-4, 6-2
4. Krishna Pokala (M) def. Adam Sher (B), 6-1, 6-1
5. Colin Klick (M) def. Hart Comess-Daniels (B), 6-3, 6-3
6. Paden Nichols (M) def. Derek Tesser (B), 6-0, 6-0