- Location: Boston University Track and Tennis Center (Boston, Mass.)
- The Lead: The No. 5 ranked MIT men's track and field team competed at the BU Last Chance Qualifier over the weekend at the Boston University Track and Tennis Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior William Ruschel (Bethel Park, Pa.) posted a season-best performance in the triple jump with a leap of 48 feet, four inches to finish second overall and rank eighth in the country. Senior Ryan Prinster (Boulder, Colo.) also performed well in the triple jump as he jumped 46 feet, 4.75 inches to place sixth. Sophomore Chris Washington (Frisco, Texas) finished fourth overall and set a PR in the high jump as he cleared six feet, nine inches to move up to 13th on the national performance list.
- Freshman Liam Ackerman (Miami, Fla.) placed second in the pole vault as he cleared 15 feet, three inches, along with sophomore Raja Rajcic (Lubbock, Texas) in fourth with a height of 14 feet, 3.25 inches. Freshman Mac Gregg (The Woodlands, Texas) registered a top-five finish in the long jump as he ended up in fourth place with a jump of 22 feet, 5.25 inches.
- Junior Jon Fakkema (Blaine, Wash.) finished sixth in the weight throw as well, throwing 55 feet, 5.5 inches.
- On the track, senior Chris Sweeney (Woodland Park, N.J.) finished 12th in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.51, while freshman Benton Wilson (Dublin, Ohio) was 18th in the 200 with a personal-best time of 22.08. Senior Tre Albritten (Plano, Texas) also competed in the 200 as he was 22nd in a time of 22.21.
- In the 800, sophomore Simon Alford (Dublin, Ohio) and junior Nathan Munet (Elkhart, Ind.) both ran PR's on the day. Alford won his heat and was 20th overall (and 30th nationally) at 1:53.70, while Munet crossed in a time of 1:54.08.
- MIT is back in action next weekend as the Engineers travel to nearby Tufts University for a Last Chance Qualifier beginning at 9 a.m. Following that, the team will compete at the NCAA Division III Indoor National Championship, which will take place at Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala. on March 9-10.