- Score: No. 4 seed SUNY New Paltz 3, No. 5 seed MIT 0 (25-22, 25-16, 25-23)
- Records: MIT (20-10); New Paltz (23-7)
- Location: Poughkeepsie, N.Y. (Vassar College – Kenyon Hall)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 12 and fifth-seeded MIT men's volleyball team fell to No. 4 and fourth-seeded SUNY New Paltz, 25-22, 25-16, 25-23, in the quarterfinals of the UVC Tournament on Thursday. Senior Martin Krasuski (Aurora, Ill.) generated 11 kills, seven digs, and two aces for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- New Paltz jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the opening set. MIT battled back, closing the gap to 19-17 on a kill by junior Tavish Smith (Laguna Beach, Calif.). However, the Hawks responded with a 5-2 spurt to reach set point. The Engineers used a block by Krasuski and sophomore Skyler Kaufman (Needham, Mass.), an ace by senior Suyash Fulay (Wexford, Pa.), and a New Paltz hitting error to extend the frame. The late rally was thwarted by an MIT serving error.
- A back-and-forth start to the second stanza saw a hitting error by the Hawks even the score at 8-8. New Paltz gradually put together a 10-3 run, helping it pull away for a 25-16 win.
- The Hawks inched out to a 16-10 lead in the final frame but the Engineers chipped away at the deficit, using a kill and an ace by Krasuski to bring them within 24-23. The comeback attempt would be denied as a serving error secured the victory for New Paltz.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith and sophomore Steven Timberman (Merrick, N.Y.) both contributed five kills while Fulay finished with two aces. Senior Jordan Lucier (Torrance, Calif.) posted five digs as Kaufman bolstered the defense with two blocks. Sophomore Yize Dong (Moraga, Calif.) rounded out the squad with 21 assists.