- Score: MIT 63, Mount Holyoke College 24
- Records: MIT (3-2, 2-0 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (0-6, 0-2 NEWMAC)
- Location: South Hadley, Mass. (Howard Gymnasium)
- The Lead: MIT outscored host Mount Holyoke College, 22-6, in the second quarter as it went on to record a 63-24 victory in NEWMAC women's basketball action on Saturday. Junior Maude Gull (Zurich, Switzerland) led all players with 12 points to go along with four steals for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped out to an 11-2 lead courtesy of a layup by freshman Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) midway through the first quarter. The Lyons trimmed their deficit to 13-7 with 44 seconds remaining but junior Kristen Ngan (Sudbury, Mass.) quickly knocked down a jumper to reestablish the Engineers' comfortable cushion.
- The visitors gradually increased their advantage, outscoring Mount Holyoke, 22-6, en route to a 37-13 margin at halftime.
- MIT continued to control the action in the third quarter as it recorded 12 unanswered points.
- A trio of free throws 43 seconds into the fourth frame ended the Lyons' scoring drought. After an exchange of possessions, a three-point play and then a layup by freshman Emma Kelley (Andover, Mass.) sparked a 14-3 run that moved the score to 63-19 with 3:01 left to play. Mount Holyoke produced the final points of the game by hitting a three pointer and a jumper.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kelley finished with 11 points and eight rebounds while Ngan tallied seven points, five steals, and two blocks. Junior Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) posted seven points and three assists as Gallagher hauled in a game-high 10 rebounds. Freshman Jocelyn Luizzi (Colchester, Conn.) rounded out the squad with seven points, five boards, and four steals.
- MIT continues NEWMAC play on the road when it visits Emerson College on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 5:30 p.m.