- Score: MIT 3, Smith College 2
- Records: MIT (13-4); Smith (10-9)
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (MacDowell Field)
- The Lead: Three different players found the back of the net to help No. 3 seeded MIT defeat No. 2 Smith College, 3-2, in the semifinals of the NEWMAC Tournament on Saturday. The Engineers will face top seed and nationally-ranked No. 9 Babson College in the championship at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT finished with a 16-12 advantage in shots and an 8-6 edge in shots on goal while Smith had an 11-10 margin in penalty corners.
- Junior Emily Penn (Columbia, Md.), senior Morgan O'Brien (Crofton, Md.), and freshman Rayna Higuchi (Solana Beach, Calif.) each scored a goal for the Engineers. In net, freshman Kate Brewer (Louisville, Ky.) came up with four saves.
- Julia Hamilton and Emily Biggs both scored for Smith as Cameo Tietje turned away five shots in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped on top just 5:12 into the contest when Penn converted a penalty stroke for her league-leading 20th goal of the season. O'Brien followed with her marker just over six minutes later when she redirected a shot from sophomore Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.).
- The Pioneers got on the board when Biggs deflected a shot by Sammie Pavlov in the 47th minute. However, MIT tacked on an insurance goal with 6:09 remaining as Higuchi scored off a centering pass from Tregoning to make it 3-1.
- Smith cut its deficit in half on Hamilton's 12th tally of the year following a penalty corner with 4:45 left but it was unable to find a late equalizer.
- MIT will be making its seventh appearance in the NEWMAC Championship and first since 2012 when it won its third title in four years. The Engineers and Babson met in the 2010 championship which resulted in a 6-1 victory for the Beavers.
Release Courtesy of Babson College