- Score: No. 1 Babson 1, No. 3 MIT 0
- Records: MIT (13-5); Babson (19-2)
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (MacDowell Field)
- The Lead: In the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship Game, the third-seeded MIT field hockey team dropped a hard-fought 1-0 final to top-seeded and No. 9 ranked Babson on Sunday afternoon. MIT is ranked No. 3 in the latest NCAA New England East regional rankings, while the Beavers are the top-ranked team in the region.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the early going, both teams were getting settled in as Babson had some chances that the MIT defense turned aside. After an initial stop by MIT freshman goalie Kate Brewer (Louisville, Ky.), the Engineers had a huge defensive save as senior Rachel Rotteveel (Langhorne, Pa.) cleared a ball off the line to keep the game scoreless.
- Babson struck with just 6:50 remaining in the first half off a penalty corner for the 1-0 halftime lead. Ashley Tango registered the goal, which was her 16th of the year, on a shot that was assisted on by Kelsi McDougle.
- MIT had a pair of corners to end the first half that were turned aside, along with opportunities in the final minutes of the game as the Engineers amped up the offensive pressure.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Brewer finished the game with six saves for MIT in the loss, while Deirdre Barry had four saves to improve to 18-2 on the season.
- The Beavers held a 16-5 advantage in penalty corners, along with a 21-6 overall advantage in shots for the game.
- This marked the first appearance for MIT in the NEWMAC Championship Game since 2012.