- Score: MIT 3, University of New England 2 (OT)
- Records: MIT (4-0); UNE (1-1)
- Location: Biddeford, Maine (Big Blue Turf)
- The Lead: Freshman Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) netted the deciding tally 4:22 into overtime to lift MIT over nationally-ranked No. 17 University of New England, 3-2, in a non-conference field hockey contest Saturday afternoon at the Big Blue Turf.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers opened the scoring in the ninth minute on a goal by junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.), that was assisted by senior Emily Penn (Columbia, Md.). The Nor'easters answered with two in a span of 3:23 later in the period to slide in front. Kersey Boulay pocketed both from well-executed corner plays that were setup by Olivia Madore. Brooke Lemerise also helped the initial marker with the corner insert.
- Sophomore Rayna Higuchi (Solana Beach, Calif.) accounted for the equalizer with under six minutes to play in regulation, tipping in a feed from senior Katie Notarangelo (Foxboro, Mass.). MIT had trailed for nearly 40 minutes to that point.
- The match ended when a broken penalty corner play was kept alive by Higuchi along the endline to the right of the cage, and her bouncing centering cross fell to the stick of Garofalo for a backhanded strike into the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT finished with a slight edge in shots (11-10) and corners (10-8).
- Freshman goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) generated four saves for the Engineers while Liz Sargent posted three stops for UNE.
- MIT concludes its road trip on Tuesday, Sept. 12 with a visit to Endicott College which is slated for a 7:00 p.m. start.
Release Courtesy of University of New England