- Score: No. 14 MIT 4, Springfield College 0
- Records: No. 14 MIT (14-2, 7-1 NEWMAC); Springfield (12-7, 4-4 NEWMAC)
- Location: Springfield, Mass. (Stagg Field)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 14 MIT field hockey team wrapped up the regular season by defeating Springfield College, 4-0, in NEWMAC action on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers secured the No. 2 seed for the upcoming conference tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT freshman goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made three saves in the opening 11:30. The Engineers then converted their first shot following their second penalty corner of the game. After sending in the initial bid to freshman Emma Majercak (Wayne, Pa.), classmate Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) took a feed on the left wing and blistered a shot over Emmalie Drake's glove for the game's first marker at the 18:11 mark.
- Just over 10 minutes later, Garofalo doubled the visitors' lead when she collected a rebound after a Tirzah McMillan defensive save and slotted home a goal. MIT struck again 2:04 later and made it a 3-0 contest after senior Katie Notarangelo (Foxboro, Mass.) took sophomore Taylor Grey's (Horsham, Pa.) pass and ripped a shot from 10 yards out.
- The Engineers tallied the game's final goal at the 46:49 mark on a perfectly executed penalty corner that resulted in Grey finding Notarangelo all alone on the back post for her second goal of the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Springfield ended the day with slight edges in shots (16-14) and penalty corners (9-8).
- Moore collected nine saves for her eighth shutout of the season, which is currently the third best mark in program history.
- Drake made six saves for Springfield while Hannah Boylan contributed a defensive save.
- The recipient of a bye for the quarterfinals, MIT will face either No. 3 Smith College or No. 6 Wellesley College in a semifinal game on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 2:00 p.m. at top-seeded Babson College.
Release Courtesy of Springfield College