- Score: Centre College 2, No. 7 MIT 1
- Records: MIT (16-3); Centre College (17-4)
- Location: Ewing, N.J. (Lions Stadium)
- The Lead: In the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday afternoon, No. 7 MIT dropped a 2-1 final to Centre College in the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Centre jumped out to the 1-0 lead just 7:27 into the game off a penalty corner as Natascha Loeb took a cross from Peyton Baer and fired it home for her second goal of the season. MIT junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) had a great scoring chance just in front of the net in the first half as well, which was turned aside by Centre goalkeeper Kristen Mulcahy.
- The Colonels added to the lead at the 50:55 mark as Brooklyn Bell ripped a shot from the top of the circle for her team-leading 23rd goal of the season and the 2-0 edge.
- MIT quickly answered with a goal off a penalty corner with 11:17 remaining as senior Katie Notarangelo (Foxboro, Mass.) scored off a pass from freshman Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) to cut the margin to 2-1. The goal was the seventh of the season for Notarangelo.
- MIT freshman goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) kept the score at 2-1 with six minutes left as she made a great save on a shot by Centre's Bell.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Colonels outshot the Engineers by a 13-9 margin while holding a slight 6-5 edge in penalty corner opportunities.
- Moore finished the game with eight saves, while Mulcahy turned aside four MIT shots for the victory.
- MIT came into the NCAA Tournament fresh off the program's fifth New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship as the Engineers defeated then No. 3 Babson by a 1-0 final.
- This was MIT's first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 2012 and fourth overall.
- MIT moved up five spots to No. 7 in the final Penn Monto/NFHCA Division III National Poll.