- Score: Roger Williams University 18, MIT 12
- Records: MIT (1-2); Roger Williams (2-1)
- Location: Bristol, R.I. (Bayside Field)
- The Lead: Four goals late in the second half propelled Roger Williams University to an 18-12 win over MIT in a non-conference women's lacrosse game on Wednesday afternoon. Junior Katie Notarangelo (Foxboro, Mass.) powered the Engineers with five goals, one assist, and nine draw controls.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT sophomore Cecilia McCormick (Islip, N.Y.) opened the scoring 23 seconds into the game. The Hawks responded with four straight goals to take the lead. A strike by Notarangelo at the 23:32 mark set off an exchange of goals which moved the score to 6-4 with 17:49 on the clock. The Hawks countered with a 6-1 run to gain some breathing room. During the final eight minutes of the frame, the Engineers narrowed the gap to 12-8 courtesy of two goals from Notarangelo and one by McCormick.
- The hosts increased their cushion with two goals early in the second half. MIT replied with three unanswered goals, including back-to-back markers from freshman Rayna Higuchi (Solana Beach, Calif.), that brought the Engineers within 14-11 with 17:14 remaining. Roger Williams gradually pulled away by scoring four goals over the course of the next 12 minutes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- McCormick finished with two goals and three assists while Higuchi contributed two goals and four draw controls. Senior Hannah Levy (Yardley, Pa.) tacked on two goals as freshman Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) totaled five draw controls and four groundballs. Junior Jack Simmons (Houston, Texas) registered four groundballs and three caused turnovers while junior goalie Eva Boal (Princeton Junction, N.J.) turned away five shots.
- MIT generated a 21-11 advantage in draw controls; however, the Hawks had the upper hand in groundballs (25-20) and shots (28-23).
- MIT returns to action on Wednesday, March 15 when it hosts Bridgewater State University at 6:00 p.m.