MIT Pulls Away From Coast Guard, 4-1

MIT Pulls Away From Coast Guard, 4-1

Oct. 7, 2006

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Forward Amy Ludlum continued her outstanding junior campaign as she scored two goals and added two assists in leading MIT (8-4, 3-1) to a 4-1 victory over the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (4-8, 0-4) in NEWMAC action, Saturday, at Steinbrenner Stadium. Ludlum scored both of her goals, including the eventual game-winner, in the first half while she supplied the helper on the Engineers' two strikes in the second frame.

Freshman Katie Kurek gave the Bears an early lead in the 13th minute. Finishing off a great individual effort, Kurek made a strong move in the open field to generate some space while driving in from the left side. Senior keeper Kat Vater sprinted out to challenge the attack, but Kurek was able to loft the ball over the head of Vater and into the right side of the net for the 1-0 advantage.

Ludlum quickly leveled the score with a goal just two minutes later. Rookie Liz Theurer made a great pass to senior Ashleigh Leonard, who was streaking down the right side of the pitch. Leonard crossed the ball to Ludlum, who headed home the equalizer.

The Engineers grabbed the lead in the 35th minute as Ludlum slammed a shot off the right post which slid into the net. Freshman Julia Roberts set up the score with a tremendous feed from the left side. The score gave MIT a 2-1 lead heading into the break.

MIT dominated the second half, making good on two of its scoring chances in the period. Theurer connected on her eighth goal of the season three minutes in after Ludlum delivered a through ball in the middle. Theurer secured the pass and held off the Coast Guard defender before beating keeper Trish Ohle clean.

The Engineers capped the scoring in the 63rd minute with rookie Katie Pesce's first career finish. Ludlum put a nice move on a defender to clear some space before dishing the ball to Pesce who sent in a blast from 15 yards out and off the fingers of Ohle.

MIT out shot Coast Guard, 19-5, and didn't allow the Bears attack to register a shot in the second half. Despite suffering the loss, Ohle made seven saves in net. Vater picked up the win for MIT and finished the match with three saves.