CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - On Tuesday, MIT women's tennis faced off against Wheaton College in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match. While the Engineers were able to put up a fight, the conference-leading Lyons pulled out a 6-3 win to secure the regular-season title.
MIT's Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky were responsible for all three of the Engineer's points as they each found success in singles and teamed up to secure MIT's only win in doubles.
Wheaton's Alesandra Di'Orio and Katherine Knies pulled out a tough tie-breaker win at #2 doubles, while Ellen Van Fassen and Rosalyn Chesky won easily in position #3. In singles, Van Fassen rallied from a 0-6 first set to win the #3 match over MIT's Anisa McCree. Di'Orio, Knies, and Chesky all scored individual points to round out the match for Wheaton.
The Engineers will compete in a make-up match against the Beavers of Babson College next Tuesday, October 20, at 2 p.m. Both Wheaton and MIT will be participating in this weekend's New England Women's Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament (NEWITT) at Amherst and will then advance to play in the NEWMAC Championship Tournament October 24-25, hosted by MIT.
Wheaton 6, MIT 3
1. Hansen/Vishnevetsky (MIT) def. Geocaris/Teague (WHE) 8-6
2. Di'Orio/Knies (WHE) def. McCree/Diskin (MIT) 9-8(8)
3. Van Fassen/Chesky (WHE) def. Hall/Jenny (MIT) 8-1
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Sarah Geocaris (WHE) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
2. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT) def. Catherine Teague (WHE) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
3. Ellen Van Fassen (WHE) def. Anisa McCree (MIT) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Alesandra Di'Orio (WHE) def. Alex Hall (MIT) 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Katherine Knies (WHE) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rosalyn Chesky (WHE) def. Kerry Weinberg (MIT) 6-1, 6-0