MIT Bounces Clark in Women's Tennis
Worcester, Mass. – Behind a powerful display during doubles and singles action, visiting MIT defeated host Clark 8-1 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women's tennis action on Saturday afternoon.
Quisenberry also handed Gaby Suriano her first-ever loss in singles action with a straight set win at No. 1 by a 6-4, 6-2 score. Hsu took care of business in second singles, allowing only one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory.
Melissa Diskin was was able to outlast Maggie Swann at No. 4 singles. After winning the first set 14-12 in a tiebreak, Diskin crusied to a 6-1 second set victory to grab the point for MIT.
Clark's lone victory came at No. 3 singles with Olivia Levine taking a three set win over Hillary Jenny. Levine won the first set 6-1 but Jenny fought back to a 6-3 victory to even the match. In a hard fought third set, Levine edged out Jenny in a 13-11 tiebreak to prevent the shutout for the Cougars.
At 2-0 overall, MIT returns to the court on Tuesday when they will visit Babson College. The 3-3 Clark Cougars are also back in action Tuesday when they host Springfield College.
The final results from Saturday's match, including exhibition matches:
Tennis Match Results
MIT vs Clark University
09/25/2010 at Worcester, Mass.
(Corash Tennis Courts)
MIT 8, Clark University 1
1. Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) def. Gaby Suriano (CLK) 6-4, 6-3
2. Julia Hsu (MIT) def. Sarah Sachs (CLK) 6-1, 6-0
3. Katie O'Neal (MIT) def. Julia Bergeron (CLK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Melissa Diskin (MIT) def. Maggie Swann (CLK) 7-6 (12-14), 6-1
5. Olivia Levine (CLK) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (11-13)
6. Jen Ress (MIT) def. Emily Schweitzer (CLK) 6-4, 6-2
7. Jenny Dohlman (MIT) won 6-2, 6-1
8. Sonya Makhni (MIT) lost 8-4
9. Sonya Makhni (MIT) won 6-3, 6-3
10. Caitlin Pomeroy (MIT) won 6-3, 6-1
1. Lauren Quisenberry/Julia Hsu (MIT) def. Gaby Suriano/Sarah Sachs (CLK) 8-2
2. Melissa Diskin/Katie O'Neal (MIT) def. Emily Schweitzer/Julia Bergeron (CLK) 8-2
3. Jenny Dohlman/Jen Ress (MIT) def. Maggie Swann/Olivia Levine (CLK) 8-6
4. Hillary Jenny/Caitlin Pomery (MIT) won 8-3
MIT 2-0, 2-0 NEWMAC
Clark University 3-3, 0-1 NEWMAC