Women's Tennis Upended By Wellesley
Wellesley, Mass. -- The Wellesley College tennis team upended New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival, MIT, by a score of 6-3 on Tuesday evening indoors at the Keohane Sports Center. The match result gives Wellesley and MIT equal ledgers, with each team sporting a 4-2 overall record with a 4-1 mark in NEWMAC play.
Wellesley opened play with two doubles wins and then took the third through sixth singles flights to nail down the 6-3 team victory.
MIT's first-year duo of Lauren Quisenberry and Julia Hsu opened play with a hard-fought 8-5 victory over Jacqueline Shen and Diana Granger at first doubles. Wellesley bounced back with victories at second and third doubles, as Erica Choo and Kendall Tada picked up an 8-2 victory in the two spot, while Nathalie Herman and Raji Nagalla were 8-5 winners at three.
Singles play opened with MIT's Quisenberry winning 6-3, 6-2 over Shen at one, while the Engineers also grabbed a win at two where Hsu was a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 winner over Choo. The Blue then closed out the match with wins in the three through six spots. Herman was a 7-5, 6-3 winner at three while Tada blanked her opponent 6-0, 6-0 at four. Granger was a winner in the fifth spot, 6-2, 6-2, while Morgan Johnstonbaugh posted a 6-2, 6-2 win at six.
Wellesley returns to the courts on Friday playing a non-conference match against Bates at 4:00pm. MIT next travels to Springfield on Saturday, playing the Pride at 1:00pm.
Here are the final resutls, including exhibitions (singles 7-10)
Wellesley 6, MIT 3
- Quisenberry/Hsu (MIT) def Shen/Granger 8-5
- Jenny/Dohlman (MIT) lost to Choo/Tada 8-2
- Diskin/Rees (MIT) lost to Herman/Nagalla 8-5
- Quisenberry (MIT) def Shen 6-3, 6-2
- Hsu (MIT) def Choo 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Diskin (MIT) lost to Herman 7-5, 6-3
- Jenny (MIT) lost to Tada 6-0, 6-0
- Rees (MIT) lost to Granger 6-0, 6-2
- Dohlman (MIT) lost to Johnstonbaugh 6-2, 6-2
- Makhni (MIT) def Asaba 8-3
- Makhni lost to Nagalla 8-3
- Pomeroy (MIT) def Bowen 8-5
- Pomeroy def Asaba 8-5
Release Courtesy of Wellesley Sports Information