- No. 4 Pomona-Pitzer 9, No. 20 MIT 0
- Records: MIT (11-2), Pomona-Pitzer (10-3)
- Location: Claremont, Calif. (Pauley Tennis Complex)
- The Lead: On Wednesday evening at the Pauley Tennis Complex, the No. 20 MIT women's tennis team dropped a 9-0 final to No. 4 ranked Pomona-Pitzer in non-conference spring break action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Saghens took a 3-0 lead in doubles action, including an 8-1 win at the No. 3 spot. At No. 1, MIT's Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) and Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) fell to Maryann Zhao and Emily Chen by an 8-3 final margin.
- In the No. 1 singles spot, Caroline Casper came away with the 6-0, 6-1 win over Tzeng as Casper is currently ranked No. 6 nationally in Division III. MIT junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) dropped a 6-3, 6-1 straight set final at the No. 6 spot as she fell to No. 33 ranked Grace Hruska.
- Both the Pomona-Pitzer No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams are both nationally-ranked as they dropped just three games overall to pick up the victories over the Engineers. This match marked the fourth match against a nationally-ranked team in the 2016-17 season.
- MIT is back in action on March 29th as the Engineers travel to No. 5 Claremont-Mudd Scripps to end the team's spring break trip.