- No. 22 MIT 5, Gwynedd Mercy 0
- Records: MIT (13-8), Gwynedd Mercy (14-1)
- Location: Brunswick, Maine (Pickard Tennis Courts - Bowdoin College)
- The Lead: In the first round of the NCAA Regional on Friday afternoon at Bowdoin College, the No. 22 ranked MIT women's tennis team defeated Gwynedd Mercy by a 5-0 final to advance to the tournament's second round.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles play, MIT seized control with a sweep of the Griffins that included convincing 8-1 finals at both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. At No. 1, the MIT team of junior Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) and sophomore Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) came away with the 8-3 win.
- After the sweep for the Engineers, MIT moved within a point of the victory as freshman Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 final at No. 5 singles over Gwynedd Mercy's Nicole Picciolo. MIT clinched the 5-0 final and a berth in the second round at the No. 6 singles spot as junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) defeated Jenna Trythall 6-1, 6-0 for the straight-set victory.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday afternoon as the Engineers take on No. 7 ranked Wesleyan College in the regional semifinal beginning at 2:30 p.m. at Bowdoin College.
|Rena Liu, Lara Rakocevic and head coach Carol Matsuzaki discuss Friday's win over Gwynedd Mercy!|