Tech Defeats Bates, 8-1
March 4, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team kicked off its spring campaign with an 8-1 victory over Bates College on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 9-3 on the year while the Bobcats fell to 2-2.
The No. 2 doubles tandem of Joanna MacKay and Serena Lin led off MIT with an 8-1 victory. Mariah Hoover and Leslie Hansen recorded an 8-4 decision in the top spot while Yi Wang and Anisa McCree wrapped up doubles play with a win by the same margin.
Hansen extended the Engineers' lead after defeating Caryn Benisch, 6-1, 6-3. The Cardinal and Gray clinched the match following Hoover's 6-3, 6-2 win in the No. 3 slot. Bates earned its only point of the day when Alexandra Piacquad defeated Lin, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 2 position. Wang edged out Laura Harris, 6-4, 6-3, while MacKay did not drop a game in her 6-0, 6-0 No. 5 singles victory. Karina Pikhart closed the day with a 6-4, 6-3 win in the No. 6 spot.
Bates College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Bates 1
1. Mariah Hoover/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Laura Harris/Caryn Benisch (B), 8-4
2. Joanna MacKay/Serena Lin (M) def. Alexandra Piacquad/Lindsay Scherer (B), 8-1
3. Yi Wang/Anisa McCree (M) def. Mallika Raghavan/Julie Brown (B), 8-4
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Caryn Benisch (B), 6-1, 6-3
2. Alexandra Piacquad (B) def. Serena Lin (M), 6-1, 6-1
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Mallika Raghavan (B), 6-3, 6-2
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Laura Harris (B), 6-4, 6-3
5. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Julie Brown (B), 6-0, 6-0
6. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Lindsay Scherer (B), 6-4, 6-3