March 14, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The nationally-ranked No. 26 MIT women’s tennis team defeated Colby College, 9-0, in a non-conference tilt on Saturday. The victory raised the Engineers’ record to 10-3 on the year, marking their 10th consecutive 10-win season. The Mules saw their ledger dip to 1-1 this season.
The No. 1 doubles tandem of Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky opened the contest with an 8-0 win over Caroline Reaves and Katie Muto. Alex Hall and Jen Rees followed with an 8-3 decision in the No. 3 spot while Melissa Diskin and Anisa McCree registered an identical score in the No. 2 slot.
Hansen led off singles play with a 6-1, 6-2 decision against Muto as Vishnevetsky topped Katie Brezinski, 6-1, 6-1. Yi Wang secured the next slot with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Reaves while McCree defeated Kathryn Vergeyle, 6-4, 6-1, in the No. 5 position. Diskin outlasted Tara Davidson, 6-3, 5-7, 10-4, in the No. 4 spot as Hall closed out the match with a 6-4, 3-6, 10-4 victory over Sally Meehan in the No. 6 slot.
In the lone exhibition match of the day, Colby’s Anna Zieba defeated Sonya Makhni, 6-2, 6-3.
MIT returns to action on Friday, April 3 at the Wellesley College Invitational while Colby will take on a trio of foes the week of March 22 in Hilton Head, S.C.
Colby College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Colby 0
1. Leslie Hansen/Anastasia Vishnevetsky (M) def. Caroline Reaves/Katie Muto (C), 8-0
2. Melissa Diskin/Anisa McCree (M) def. Tara Davidson/Katie Brezinski (C), 8-3
3. Alex Hall/Jen Rees (M) def. Hilana Bernheimer/Sally Meehan (C), 8-3
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Katie Muto (C), 6-1, 6-2
2. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (M) def. Katie Brezinski (C), 6-1, 6-1
3. Yi Wang (M) def. Caroline Reaves (C), 6-2, 6-0
4. Melissa Diskin (M) def. Tara Davidson (C), 6-3, 5-7, 10-4
5. Anisa McCree (M) def. Kathryn Vergeyle (C), 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Hall (M) def. Sally Meehan (C), 6-4, 3-6, 10-4
7. Anna Zieba (C) def. Sonya Makhni (M), 6-2, 6-3