March 20, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - For the first time in the history of the men's and women's tennis programs both squads defeated Colby College in the same season, let alone the same day. The men's team recorded a 4-3 victory while the women won, 5-4, on Saturday. The men's squad posted their first win over the Mules since the 1995-96 season as the women's team defeated Colby for the first time since 2000-01. All four teams first squared off during the same season 20 years ago, with the men blanking the Mules, 9-0. Last season, the Engineers dropped both decisions by one point.
The No. 2 doubles tandem of Joanna McKay and Elaine Ni recorded the first point for the Engineers with an 8-1 decision. Colby tied the match when Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover lost to Tracy Nale and Allison Dunn, 8-5. Tech regained the lead on an 8-2 victory by Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich in the No. 3 position.
Nale notched a 6-4, 6-0 win over Ni and Dunn defeated Lin, 7-5, 6-2, to put the Mules ahead, 3-2. Yi Wang evened the match with a 7-5, 6-1 win in the No. 4 slot. MIT took the lead for good on Mariah Hoover's 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-2 battle at the No. 3 position. Konowich clinched the winning point by upending Nicole Veilleux, 6-4, 6-2. Emily Chen fell in the final match of the day, 6-7, 6-4, 10-5.
MIT vs. Colby College
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Colby 4
1. Tracy Nale/Allison Dunn (C) def. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M), 8-5
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Ginny Raho/Lauren Uhlmann (C), 8-1
3. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M) def. Anna Erdheim/Nicole Veilleux (C), 8-2
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Roux/Schmidt (C), 8-1
1. Allison Dunn (C) def. Serena Lin (M), 7-5, 6-2
2. Tracy Nale (C) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-4, 6-0
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def Ginny Raho (C), 7-6(3) 4-6, 6-2
4. Yi Wang (M) def Lauren Uhlmann (C), 7-5, 6-1
5. Anna Erdheim (C) def. Emily Chen (M), 6-7, 6-4, 10-5
6. Jill Konowich (M) def. Nicole Veilleux (C), 6-4, 6-2
7. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Alex Deshonbinin (C)
8. Jusleen Karve (M) def. Katherine Koleski (C)
9. Lisa Shank (M) def. Ellen London (C), 6-0
10. Nadele Roux (C) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 6-3